Saturday, September 20, 2008

Character growth

I have just finished Raise the Titanic by Clive Cussler, and posted a review on the website. This is the fourth book in the Dirk Pitt series and the earliest book in the series that I have read. I noticed a distinct difference between the earlier character and the character I am familiar with. Although I liked Raise the Titanic, it was not as much fun as later books. It is a more serious espionage novel than later books. The mark of a good book series is that the characters evolve. Nothing turns me off more in an author than lack of character growth. I can only read so many books in a series where the character continues to make the same mistakes time after time. I applaud Cussler on his character growth of Dirk Pitt over the years.

I have also added an Amy Tan profile to the web site, and an author index to the web site.

No comments: